Speculations started to arise when during the panel at Star Wars Celebration, last month, that was to comprise of Gareth Edwards (Star Wars: Rogue One) and Josh Trank (second Star Wars standalone movie) to talk about their projects. However, when the panel met, it was only Edwards that appeared and it was said that Trank was sick. There seems to have been more than met the eye, especially since Trank has left the project.
On Friday, it was announced that Josh Trank, who’s Fantastic Four film is due out in August, has left the second Star Wars project, citing personal reasons. The announcement was made on the Star Wars website. Here is the full statement below:
“After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I’m making a personal decision to move forward on a different path. I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities. That said, the Star Wars universe has always been one of my biggest influences, and I couldn’t be more excited to witness its future alongside my millions of fellow Star Wars fans. I want to thank my friends Kathleen Kennedy, Kiri Hart, Simon Kinberg, and everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney for the amazing opportunity to have been a part of this. May the Force be with you all.”
It is noted that the project will “continue to develop” without Trank. Now, there is a large amount of speculation as to why he “might” have left the project. Many seems to link Simon Kinberg, who is producing the current Star Wars project, having conflicts with Trank during the Fantastic Four project which is reportedly leaving Fox underwhelmed by the reboot.
Whatever the reason may be, it seems that Trank is getting back to his roots. Seeing that the Fantastic Four sequel is expected to arrive in 2017, and his desire to look for original projects, it would be a forgone conclusion that he will not return to the director’s chair for the comic sequel. As the second Star Wars standalone is slated for 2017, we should see a new director announced soon.